This extraordinary time demands an extraordinary response. We at Interfaith Action are helping weave a web of compassion and support to hold our city together. To do so, we are pivoting our work quickly.
- We are providing shelter in new ways. Because our partner faith communities can no longer host overnight Project Home shelters during the pandemic, we have moved our guest families to shelter at our day center in First Baptist Church in downtown Saint Paul. We are deeply grateful to the council of this amazing church for quickly approving use of its spaces to house families experiencing homelessness. Our trusted partner, Ramsey County, is supporting us in making this transition.
- We are serving people 24/7. We are now providing three healthy meals a day plus snacks for growing children. We are providing fun and educational activities for children and working with Saint Paul Public Schools on distance learning.
- We are hiring temporary staff. Due to the steep decline in available volunteers, we are hiring new temporary staff to support the families in our shelter. View the job postings here.
- We are feeding more hungry people. Visits to the food shelf are up nearly 40% this month. We are pre-bagging all food and coordinating no-contact pick-ups for the hundreds of families who depend on us. Because we cannot receive food donations during this time, we must purchase all food.
- We are offering the prayers of our interfaith clergy. We look to our clergy for words of comfort, challenge and wisdom. Every day, we are sharing a prayer, on Facebook and on collected on our website. Bookmark the page and check back daily.
“How Can I Help?”
Financial donations help us the most right now. Our needs are changing daily, and financial support gives us the ability to purchase what is needed. And thanks to the generosity of two donor families, every gift made between now and April 30 will be matched dollar for dollar up to $20,000.
If you are a Thrivent Member, please consider giving a gift to Interfaith Action through Thrivent.com. Thrivent will provide an extra $1 for every $2 donated for the first $1 million in donations made. Click here and enter “Interfaith Action” in the keyword search bar, then choose “Make a personal donation.”
We also need craft items (art supplies, markers, papers, etc.), child-friendly DVDs, a mini-refrigerator, TV and DVD player for our shelter. If you can help, please contact Wade Piper.