Deadline: Open until filled
The Department of Indian Work partners with American Indian families to revitalize culture, education and wellness. As part of our mission, we provide a ministry of hospitality during funerals for families who have no means to utilize funeral homes. We are available to assist families during office hours, but we are looking for overnight and weekend volunteers. Overnight volunteer hours are from 5pm to 8am and weekend volunteer hours are from 8 am to 5 pm. We plan to secure two to four volunteers each month who would be on call as needed.
- One-time volunteer training on working with American Indian families during the time of losing a loved one, as well as an overview of our building facilities.
- Volunteers will be on call at least one month a year. Need for a funeral host varies each month, but we anticipate hosting 1-3 funerals every month.
- Respond quickly when called during your designated month. Families only have a few days to make funeral arrangements. Staff will introduce you to the family upon your arrival.
- Remain in the building so families may always reach you when needs arise. For overnight volunteers, we provide a designed volunteer area with a cot. Volunteers will bring their own bedding.
- Secure the building for the evening by making sure doors are locked, extraneous lights are turned out, hallways to restrooms are clear and lit, and kitchen and activity areas are tidy.
- Be a model for building guidelines and remind families of the guidelines when needed. A form will be provided to you and the families that will explain the guidelines.
- If the funeral requires more than one volunteer, due to the length of funeral event, when a new volunteer arrives you will orientate the new volunteer to the needs of the family and introduce them to the family before you transfer funeral host service to them.
- Be available to talk with adult guests if they approach you and wish to converse.
- In case of emergencies, stay calm. Contact on call staff person for issues.
- Ability to stay calm in stressful family situations
- Reliability and dependability
- Ability to not engage with families unless requested
- Respect for various views and believes surrounding death and one’s journey after death
- To provide a ministry of care but not one of evangelism.
- Please contact Kelly Miller at 651-789-3856 or email@example.com with your interest.