Hope + knowledge + free legal assistance = economic mobility
Interfaith Action provides free legal assistance and practical educational opportunities and resources that help people build economic mobility. Our free legal clinic is available twice every month (on Thursday afternoons).
Our legal clinic provides free-of-charge legal advice for community members every other Thursday. You can come in person or get help over the phone.
- Come to Progressive Baptist Church (1505 Burns Ave, Saint Paul) between 12:30–3:00 pm on clinic day.
- Meet in person with our SMRLS paralegal, who then will connect you via Zoom to a lawyer on call that day.
- On the day of clinic, call 651-222-5863 at 12:30 pm.
- Say, “I’m calling for Power-Up Clinic.” You must say you are calling for Power-Up to get help that day.
- A lawyer will call you back the same afternoon. After a brief introductory call, a volunteer attorney will call you back between 1:00–3:30 pm to hear about your issue in detail.
Legal Issues Covered Include
- Landlord/tenant or property
- Divorce, parenting time, custody, or other family law issues
- Debt collection
- Impounded car
- Purchase or service contracts
- Simple wills and health care directives
- Any other civil legal issues (no criminal law issues, please)
Power-Up Legal Clinic is made possible through a partnership with Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, the Twin Cities Cardozo Society, and Progressive Baptist Church.
Upcoming Clinic Dates
Mar 3 & 17, Apr 7 & 21, May 5 & 19
Jun 2 & 16, July 7 & 21, Aug 4 & 18
Sept 1 & 15, Oct 6 & 20, Nov 3 & 17, Dec 1 & 15
Questions outside clinic hours?
To talk to a legal aid lawyer outside of clinic hours, you can call the intake phone number at SMRLS (legal aid) between 9 am to 3 pm on weekdays at 651-222-5863.
“Interfaith Action is a dedicated and ethical organization that works tirelessly to help individuals in need of services in the greater Twin Cities access what they need; and they do this by bridging divides and finding common ground between different faith communities in Minnesota.” — Emily Bowen, Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services
Power-Up Learning Events & Legal Rights Videos
While our in-person learning events are on hold due to the pandemic, we have produced short, user-friendly videos (with Legal Services State Support Center and Housing Justice Center) on topics of importance to the community. We encourage houses of worship and other community organizations to share these videos widely.
Child Tax Credit (Oct 2021)
Preventing Eviction (Sept 2021)
Social Security Disability Benefits (June 2021)
Work Safety & Going Back to Work
Additional Power-Up Educational Resources
Power-Up on child abuse: Oct 2019
Power-Up on landlord issues: Sept 2019