For more than 20 years, this key program of Interfaith Action of Greater Saint Paul, has harnessed the power of local faith communities to provide emergency shelter for families facing homelessness. We are currently providing 24/7 care, services, and emergency shelter to 22 families (approximately 80 guests).
With the understanding that a homelessness is traumatic, our Kitchen Assistant helps our Head Chef keep the kitchen clean and well organized, as well as make well-prepared, healthy, family-friendly meals that ease hunger and warm the soul.
Weekday shifts are from noon – 6 pm, with lunch service at noon and dinner service at 5:00 pm. This position reports to the Head Chef.
- Ensure the food preparation areas are clean and hygienic.
- Wash utensils and dishes and make sure they are stored appropriately.
- Sort, store and distribute ingredients and supplies.
- Wash, peel, chop, and cut food.
- Dispose of rubbish.
- Organize linen and laundry.
- Assist in preparing and serving meals during our dining hours.
- Adhere to all health department regulations.
- Maintain accurate food inventories; report inventory needs to Head Chef.
- Rotate stock items as per established procedures; restock kitchen for subsequent shifts.
- Clean and sanitize kitchen and equipment regularly to ensure sanitary food preparation.
- Document and report all significant problems/incidents; report safety issues immediately.
- Model caring and respectful attitude toward shelter guests and uphold shelter guidelines.
- Maintain appropriate professional boundaries with program participants and colleagues.
- Maintain program and participant confidentiality, including former participants.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head Chef and Program Director.
- 1+ years of experience cooking in a commercial kitchen environment; 5+ preferred.
- Willingness to work some holidays and occasional weekends, if needed.
- Ability to operate commercial kitchen equipment.
- Possess an acceptance and respect for diversity; thrive in a multi-cultural environment.
- Be honest, dependable, and professional at all times.
- Exercise patience, understanding, creativity, and fairness with participants; manage personal stress constructively.
- Be able to lift 40 lbs., perform basic cleaning tasks, and climb stairs regularly.
- Complete pre-employment background check.
- Have a personal commitment to the mission of Interfaith Action of Greater Saint Paul.
To Apply: Please submit a resume to Peter Olsen at email@example.com.