Change a child’s life: Join Summer Reads!
Bring your passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to help eradicate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as change-makers, living and serving alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
Sign up to serve this summer at Interfaith Action’s Department of Indian Work with Summer Reads, an AmeriCorps VISTA national service program of Literacy Minnesota, as a literacy mentor for elementary children who are performing below grade-level. Bring literacy to life through story-time, games, arts and drama, science experiments, one-on-one or group tutoring, and more. Give your time and talents to help children gain the skills they need to share their stories, achieve their goals and succeed in school and life.
In exchange for your service, you will receive:
- A modest living allowance for basic living expenses (Twin Cities: $491.96 pre-tax every two weeks)
- At the end of service, an Education Award for future college tuition or federal student loan payments, or a cash stipend (Education Award only available to US citizens, nationals and permanent residents)
- Training, professional development, coaching and networking
- At least 18 years old by first day of service
- US citizen, national or permanent legal resident, asylee, refugee, or DACA recipient
- Available for full-time service from June 11-August 9, 2020 (40 hours per week)