TEMPORARY CONTRACT POSITION
(multiple positions available)
ABOUT PROJECT HOME
Project Home, a program of Interfaith Action of Greater Saint Paul, provides essential emergency shelter for families facing homelessness in Ramsey County. Given the current pandemic, we are facing a steep decline in volunteers to support Project Home and must change our model to paid staffing for the immediate future.
During the pandemic, we are sheltering our guest families (40 individuals, including children, mothers, fathers, grandparents) in the gymnasium at the Project Home Day Center in downtown Saint Paul.
With an understanding that homelessness is traumatic, Overnight Hosts offer comforting and respectful hospitality and ensure a clean, safe environment for the families under their care and supervision.
Teams of two Overnight Hosts work regular overnight shifts, including some weekends and holidays, from 7 pm to 9 am. Cots where Overnight Hosts can rest are provided in spaces separate from the gymnasium, where our guests sleep. Overnight Hosts report to the Project Home Director and are directly supported by two Senior Site Coordinators and the Day Center Manager.
- Build a positive working relationship with all participants and colleagues to identify needs and concerns; clarify rules as needed.
- Ensure adequate supervision of children by parents/guardians.
- Work collaboratively with participant families to identify programming possibilities and work with colleagues to organize appropriate activities (movie night, crafts, dance night, sing-a-longs, talent show, etc.).
- Assist with snack and continental breakfast preparation, dining room set-up, and clean-up.
- Exercise leadership and vision to maintain a clean, safe, and pleasant environment for all shelter participants. Gloves and COVID-19 compliant cleaning supplies are provided.
- Perform walk-throughs of all common spaces several times during each shift and perform needed remedial actions (tidy/sweep/mop/clean, open/close doors, windows, etc.).
- Perform safety checks (outlet covers, unplug unnecessary appliances, storage of cleaners/chemicals, water on bathroom floors, etc.) and resolve any safety concerns.
- Document and report all significant problems or incidents. Report safety issues immediately.
- Maintain appropriate professional boundaries with program participants and colleagues.
- Maintain program and participant confidentiality, including former participants.
- Read all current staff educational materials as required.
- Assist in developing and revising policies and procedures for the program as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Project Home Director.
- Agree to Contract Terms that include working shifts, including some weekends and holidays, from 7 pm to 9 am and receiving biweekly payments of $180 per shift completed.
- Be interested in working in a family social service program setting; knowledge of local resources preferred.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity and ability to work with and relate to people in a multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrate good listening and empathetic skills in a team environment.
- Be honest, dependable, and professional at all times; maintain personal/professional boundaries.
- Exercise patience, understanding, creativity, and fairness with participants; manage personal stress constructively.
- Be able to lift 20 lbs., perform basic cleaning tasks, and climb stairs regularly.
- Complete pre-employment background check.
- Have a personal commitment to the mission of Interfaith Action of Greater Saint Paul.
TO APPLY: Please submit an email of interest to Sara Liegl at email@example.com. Positions open until filled.