TEMPORARY CONTRACT POSITION
(Weekends + weekday on call; two positions available)
ABOUT PROJECT HOME
Project Home, a program of Interfaith Action of Greater Saint Paul, provides essential emergency shelter for families facing homelessness in Ramsey County. Given the current pandemic, we are facing a steep decline in volunteers to support Project Home and must change our model to a singular site with paid staffing.
During the pandemic, we are sheltering our guest families (40 individuals, including children, mothers, fathers, grandparents) in the gymnasium at the Project Home Day Center in downtown Saint Paul. Families are served breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks in the dining room next to the commercial kitchen.
With the understanding that homelessness is traumatic, we are seeking two part-time cooks to make well-prepared, healthy, family-friendly meals that not only ease hunger but also warm the soul (up to 45 meals for lunch and dinner service). Cooks are responsible for the efficient and safe operation of the Project Home Family Day Center commercial kitchen. This temporary position includes weekend hours and could include weekday hours, filling in for our Head Chef.
Weekend shifts are from 10 am – 6 pm, with lunch service at noon, snack at 3 pm, and dinner service at 4:30 pm. This position reports to the Project Home Director and is directly supported by the Head Chef.
- Prepare and serve meals and snacks during our dining hours.
- Adhere to all health department regulations.
- Maintain accurate food inventories; report inventory needs to Head Chef.
- Properly store food items at appropriate temperatures.
- Rotate stock items as per established procedures; restock kitchen for subsequent shifts.
- Clean and sanitize kitchen and equipment regularly to ensure sanitary food preparation.
- Document and report all significant problems/incidents; report safety issues immediately.
- Model caring and respectful attitude toward shelter guests and uphold shelter guidelines.
- Maintain appropriate professional boundaries with program participants and colleagues.
- Maintain program and participant confidentiality, including former participants.
- Other duties as assigned by the Project Home Director or Head Chef.
- Agree to Contract Terms that include working shifts, including some weekends and holidays, from 10 am to 6 pm and receiving biweekly payments of $120 per shift completed.
- 1+ years of experience cooking in a commercial kitchen environment; 5+ preferred.
- Willingness to work weekends, plus some holidays and weekdays when needed.
- Ability to operate commercial kitchen equipment.
- Possess an acceptance and respect for diversity; thrive in a multi-cultural environment.
- Be honest, dependable, and professional at all times.
- Exercise patience, understanding, creativity, and fairness with participants; manage personal stress constructively.
- Be able to lift 30 lbs., perform basic cleaning tasks, and climb stairs regularly.
- Complete pre-employment background check.
- Have a personal commitment to the mission of Interfaith Action of Greater Saint Paul.
TO APPLY: Please submit an email of interest to Sara Liegl at firstname.lastname@example.org.